Pregnant, hiding and scared

  • Izabella Edes Courtesy photo—

  • Izabella Edes. Courtesy photo

Monadnock Ledger-Transcript
Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Izabella Edes was in a Dartmouth-Hitchcock hospital room Tuesday surrounded by doctors and nurses, eight months pregnant, when they gave her the news. Edes, a Hancock resident, had been transported up to Lebanon by ambulance the day before due to complications, and the doctors told her it was time to induce labor – six weeks early.

That’s when things got really scary.

Edes looked over at the room’s computer screen and saw the alert — there was an active shooter in the hospital, and staff and patients alike were instructed to barricade the doors and hide in the bathrooms.

“I was terrified,” Edes said, “because I’d just gotten that news and I was in an awful mindset. I was like screaming crying ... I was thinking terrorists, because 9/11 was the day before and it’s a hospital.”

According to police, Travis Frink, 49, of Warwick, Rhode Island, entered Dartmouth-Hitchcock’s ICU on Tuesday afternoon and fatally shot his mother, Pamela Ferriere.

Edes and the hospital staff hunkered down in the bathroom, periodically checking the screen for updates.

“I could get up but I was in a lot of pain and shocked from all the news I’d just got,” Edes said.

Information started trickling into the room. The shooter was on the fourth floor in the ICU.

“When they told us, we were freaking out because they told us he was on floor 4 in a section that was right under us,” Edes said. “I was like ‘Oh my god, what does that mean, we’re next? We’re 5!’”

Eventually, Edes and the staff got word that it was a “targeted shooting,” the suspect was in custody, and they were not in danger. From there, Edes was able to wind down a little bit, watching news channels on the TV.

“We could see the helicopters outside the window and see the footage on the TV because it was live,” Edes said.

About five hours after the initial lockdown, Edes said a dozen SWAT team members with “huge guns” burst into her room and inspected it before noting it as clear — a moment nearly enough to induce that labor.

“I’m surprised it didn’t,” she said.

After the all-clear, Edes said she was astounded by how calm, professional and caring the Dartmouth-Hitchcock staff was.

“All the doctors and nurses were amazing,” Edes said. “Walking around the hallways afterward, every single nurse and doctor stopped to make sure I was okay.”

Finally, the doctors were able to go ahead with the procedure they’d been set to take on when they were interrupted by the lockdown. They induced Edes’ labor, but halted the contractions later that night as the baby responded well to their treatment.

“Things went better than they expected so they wanted to keep her in there a little longer,” Edes said.

Little daughter Azaryiah is expected to come into the world sometime this week. Her birth story is one that her mother will never forget.