×

Charges dropped in sex assault case; county attorney says they couldn’t locate victim

  • Terrence Reardon



Monadnock Ledger-Transcript
Wednesday, June 14, 2017

The remaining two charges against a New Ipswich man accused of sexually assaulting three young children in his care have been dropped, according to court records.

A case against Terrence Reardon, 54, was initially scheduled to go to trial at the end of the month, but charges of aggravated felonious sexual assault and felonious sexual assault were dismissed May 23, according to documentation on file at the Southern District Hillsborough Superior Court in Nashua.

A handwritten note on the bottom of the felonious sexual assault charge indictment — signed by County Attorney Leslie M. Gill — read that the court was “unable to contact [the] victim,” who is 11 years old and listed as R.M. in the case. 

Other than the handwritten note on the indictment, there isn’t anything on file with the court explaining why the charges were dropped. A number of documents, including witness subpoenas, have been sealed. 

Multiple voicemails and calls have been made to Gill and Public Defender Stephen Rosecan — the two attorneys on the case — between Thursday and Tuesday and not returned. Gill was not in her office when the Ledger-Transcript visited the superior court on Wednesday morning to ask prosecutors why they weren’t able to locate R.M.

Reardon was initially charged with three counts of aggravated felonious sexual assault, three counts of felonious sexual assault, and one count of computer pornography prohibited by the New Ipswich Police Department on June 26, 2015. 

According to an affidavit on file at the Jaffrey District Court, Reardon was accused of sexually assaulting three minors biweekly between March 20, 2013 and June 1, 2015, while they were in his care. The children were ages 4, 7, and 8 when the alleged incidents began.

Reardon filed a not guilty plea and waiver of arraignment with the superior court on Oct. 13, 2015.

Two charges of aggravated felonious sexual assault and two charges of felonious sexual assault were dismissed without prejudice on Oct. 8, 2015. The computer pornography prohibited charge was dismissed without prejudice on Aug. 15, 2016.

Police first learned of the alleged sexual assaults on June 5, 2015, according to the affidavit, from the victims’ mother. 

The children – two boys and a girl – were questioned by a forensic interviewer with the Child Advocacy Center on two separate dates in June of 2015. The affidavit states that all three children had said they had been forced to touch Reardon’s genitalia, both together and separately.

The children also said they were made to wrestle naked and that they had to watch pornography with Reardon on his computer and that they were rewarded with toys or given extra time to play outside if they touched Reardon.

The eldest child said during her interview that she told Reardon’s wife about the sexual assaults, but she did not believe her. 

Nicholas Handy can be reached at 924-7172 ext. 235 or nhandy@ledgertranscript.com. He is also on Twitter @nhandyMLT.