Peterborough: Former ambulance director pleads guilty to drug theft

Possible jail time pending

Jeremy Bouchard, the former clinical director of the Peterborough Fire and Rescue Department’s ambulance service who resigned last year after he was charged with the theft of narcotics from Peterborough ambulances, has pleaded guilty to two felony charges.

Bouchard, 36, entered guilty pleas on Feb. 27 on charges of possession of a controlled drug and possession of a controlled/narcotic drug, according to officials at Hillsborough County Superior Court, Northern Division, in Manchester. A sentencing hearing will be held on April 22 at the Manchester court.

A third count against Bouchard, charging him with theft by unauthorized taking, will be dropped, according to Assistant Attorney General James Vara, who prosecuted the case.

Peterborough police arrested Bouchard on Aug. 3, 2013, after an investigation that was prompted by an inventory by the Fire Department of drugs that were stored in a Peterborough ambulance. The drugs were the property of Monadnock Community Hospital. Bouchard was accused of taking fentanyl and morphine that had been documented as resupplies for Peterborough’s ambulances. The thefts took place between August 2012 and August 2013, when Bouchard was working as an ambulance medic.

Bouchard, who was placed on paid leave by the town of Peterborough following his arrest, resigned as clinical director on Aug. 14.

Bouchard was hired by the town of Peterborough as a per-diem paramedic in July 2009. He became the clinical director of the town’s ambulance program, responsible for hiring and supervising emergency medical technicians and paramedics, in November 2011. He also worked as a paramedic for the town while serving as clinical director.

Bouchard’s paramedic license was suspended on March 5 by the State’s Division of Fire Standards and Training and Emergency Medical Services. Last year, Peterborough Town Administrator Pam Brenner said Bouchard did not work as a paramedic during the time his license was under suspension, but he continued in his role as clinical director, and after the suspension ended on June 3, Bouchard resumed working at times as a paramedic.

Bouchard, who lives in Antrim, has been free on $50,000 personal recognizance since shortly after his arrest.

Vara said the charges to which Bouchard pleaded guilty are both Class B felonies, with potential penalties of 31/2 to 5 years in prison.

Dave Anderson can be reached at 924-7172, ext. 233 or He’s on Twitter at @DaveAndersonMLT.

Legacy Comments0
There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.