Jaffrey/Rindge

Holmes to resign teaching position

Music teacher was on leave

Conant High School music teacher Leonard Holmes, who was placed on leave in April, has submitted a letter of resignation to the Jaffrey-Rindge School Board.

In the letter, dated May 5, Holmes wrote, “After a number of considerations, I wish to resign my position at Conant High School and retire effective June 30, 2014. I also would like to continue (at my cost) as a retired participant in the School District’s medical and dental plans.”

Conant High School Principal John Barth was also placed on leave in April. School officials have declined to comment on the reason for the leaves, including whether either of the men is still being paid.

Jaffrey-Rindge School Superintendent Jim O’Neill was unavailable for comment on Holmes’ resignation letter on Wednesday.

According to public records available through the Jaffrey Police Department, Holmes was investigated by Jaffrey police in 1992 after a former student accused Holmes of sexual assaults that had allegedly occurred 10 years earlier. The investigation led to no arrest, but Holmes reached an agreement and paid his accuser $5,000.

According to a letter dated Dec. 30, 1992, Holmes’ lawyer at the time told Jaffrey police that Holmes had been placed on permanent probation by the school district as a result of the allegations.

O’Neill has said the school district has no information in its files regarding an agreement.

Holmes’ resignation letter is on the consent agenda for the May 21 School Board meeting, which will be at the high school. Board members generally approve all items on the consent agenda with one vote, although it’s possible someone might call for discussion of Holmes’ letter and a separate vote.

There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.