Some clouds
49°
Some clouds
Hi 62° | Lo 43°

Antrim

Candles start house fire

Candles that tipped over started a fire at a home on Beaver Dam Road on Thursday, according to Antrim Fire Capt. Jay Hennessy.

The fire did not result in any injuries.

The call for the fire at 15 Beaver Dam Rd. came in around 6 p.m., Hennessy said on Monday. He said candles were somehow tipped over in one of the bedrooms of the house and flames spread. The fire caught quickly since there were a lot of papers in the back bedroom, he added.

It took 20 minutes for the responding agencies to knock down the fire. Hennessy said firefighters arrived at the scene quickly because the location isn’t far from the fire station. Because one of the homeowners closed the door to the back bedroom shortly after the fire began, most of the damage was contained to that room.

The house was charred from smoke damage and Hennessy estimated cost of the damage at about $4,000. He said the family, whose names he did not know, are still living there. He said no one was injured in the fire and no pets were lost.

The responding fire departments included Antrim, Bennington, Francestown and Peterborough.

Lindsey Arceci can be reached at 924-7172, ext. 232, or larceci@ledgertranscript.com.

There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.