Clouds and sun
74°
Clouds and sun
Hi 78° | Lo 52°

Jaffrey

Small fire on Main Street

The Jaffrey Fire Department responded to a fire at 109 Main St. on Wednesday morning. No one was hurt in the incident.

Responding to a smoke detector activation, firefighters found very light smoke in the basement and first floor at the multistory residence. After further investigation, firefighters found a small fire in a second-floor bedroom, which was put out with a fire extinguisher.

Jaffrey Fire Chief David Chamberlain said there was an estimated $2,000 worth of damage to the residence, though the conditions of the building are still livable. The resident is currently contacting his insurance company to cover the damage costs, and no injuries were reported.

The cause of the fire appears to be from the improper disposal of a cigarette, according to Chamberlain.

Elodie can be reached by phone at 924-7172 ext. 228, or by email at ereed@ledgertranscript.com. Elodie is also on Twitter @elodie_reed.

There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.