Fire damages bed and breakfast
Three-alarm blaze started in basement boiler; no injuries were reported
TEMPLE — A fire at a local residence and bed and breakfast reached three alarms, but resulted in no injuries, according to fire officials.
Lisa Beaudoin, the owner of Herban Living Bed & Breakfast, lives in a structure attached to the business. Both the residence and the business were damaged, but Beaudoin was not home, and there were no guests present there when the fire broke out, according to Fire Chief George Clark in an interview Monday. At about 2:30 p.m. on Saturday, the fire department was toned for a fire alarm at 242 General Miller Highway. When responders first arrived, they saw a good deal of smoke inside, and immediately brought the fire to a second alarm for the additional manpower, said Clark.
The fire appears to have started from a wood boiler in the basement, which burned through to the upper floor and spread through the walls, according to Clark. Shortly after crews arrived and began fighting the fire, flames broke out through the walls. It was at that point that a third alarm was called.
It took crews two and a half hours to get the fire under control, which is not unusual for this type of fire, said Clark. While in the walls, the fire essentially uses the studs as a chimney to find a path through the structure. Crews used thermal imaging to track the path of the fire to put it out.
“Luckily, it didn’t spread more than it did,” said Clark. The damage from the fire is mostly limited to the interior, said Clark, which will need renovation to make it livable again.
Crews from Wilton, Milford, Lyndeborough, Greenville, New Ipswich, Jaffrey, Dublin and Mason responded to the fire. Mount Vernon covered the Temple fire station during the call.
Ashley Saari can be reached at 924-7172 ex. 244, or firstname.lastname@example.org. She’s on Twitter @AshleySaari.