New Ipswich

1 life-flighted after car fire

NEW IPSWICH — A man was flown by helicopter to a Boston hospital to be treated for burns on his hands, arms and face, after a first-alarm garage fire in New Ipswich on Monday afternoon.

Shortly before 3 p.m., a New Ipswich man, who officials have declined to identify, was working in a residential garage at 260 Turnpike Rd. when a fire ignited. Fire officials believe that the blaze originated when a spark caught fumes from the gasoline tank of a vehicle parked inside the garage, said Deputy Fire Chief Meredith Lund in an interview Tuesday.

The man was able to leave the building under his own power and get to a neighbor’s house, where he called fire officials. He was conscious and aware when Lund arrived on the scene. He was transported by UMass Memorial Lifeflight to Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston for treatment. The fire was contained to the garage, and caused minimal damage, Lund said.

Legacy Comments0
There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.