Rider  recounts being run over

Motorcyclist was hit on Rt 3. in Nashua

PETERBOROUGH — Duane Bone of Peterborough says he might have been alright after a driver on his left moved into his lane and threw him from his motorcycle on Route 3 in Nashua on Thursday. But unfortunately, a driver on his right then ran him over and kept on going, leaving Bone with a broken fibula and broken tibia in his right leg and a cracked talus bone in his left heel.

“I was wearing body armor and a helmet,” Bone, 39, said by phone Monday from his room at St. Joseph’s Hospital in Nashua. “If I’d just been knocked to the ground I’d probably have been OK. Someone apparently ran over my legs and I started flipping. I didn’t pass out. I was conscious the entire time.”

The accident occurred at about 10:56 a.m., according the N.H. State police, who found Bone lying in the middle of the southbound lane of the highway near exit 3 when they responded to calls about a multiple vehicle crash at about 10:56 a.m. Bone was taken by ambulance to Saint Joseph’s Hospital.

Police described the vehicle that hit Bone after he was thrown from his 2012 Yamaha FZ8 motorcycle as a black sedan or a black sports utility vehicle. The Ledger-Transcript was unable to contact Trooper Matthew Lapierre of Troop B in Bedford, who is conducting an investigation of the accident, prior to press deadline on Monday.

Bone, who has been commuting to his job in Nashua on his new motorcycle for about four months, said he was riding south on Route 3 by exit 3, which is a left-lane exit, when a car in front of him started to slow.

“I assumed it was going to exit,” he said. “They looked like they were going to get off. Then they just went straight, back over the warning line. They wanted to merge back into my lane.”

Bone said he slowed as much as he could, but he didn’t feel safe trying to swerve.

“I was hoping my noise would clue them in,” he said. “I was trying to stop. We got next to each other and they turned straight into the side of my bike. We were probably going less than 30 miles an hour.”

Bone, who was thrown off his motorcycle, said his body armor and helmet protected his upper body. But his legs were badly damaged when the vehicle on the right ran over him.

Bone, said he’s doing “about as well as expected.” He’s had surgery on his right leg, which is now held together with a titanium rod, and he was hoping to move to a rehab unit in the hospital later on Monday. He said doctors are most concerned about the cracked bone in his heel, which will need to be monitored closely as it heals.

“With a pin in my foot, I can put weight on,” he said. “They’re saying it will be four to six weeks. When I move around, I’m in pain, but I’m basically immobilized.”

While he has a challenging recovery ahead, Bone said he’s grateful for his protective gear.

“People riding about without heavy bike armor and a helmet just aren’t thinking straight,” he said.

Legacy Comments0
There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.