M/clear
31°
M/clear
Hi 43° | Lo 22°

HANCOCK

Man badly burned in recent mishap thanks his rescuers

Man sustains serious burn injuries in accident involving a bonfire

Adam Geoffrey, second from left, and his mother, Mary Geoffrey, second from right, with Hancock firefighters who rescued Geoffrey after he was burned in a November accident. The firefighters are, from left, Assistant Chief Tom Bates, Bill Eva, Assistant Chief John Pirkey, Siobhan Martin, Mark Thompson and Chief Nevan Cassidy.

Adam Geoffrey, second from left, and his mother, Mary Geoffrey, second from right, with Hancock firefighters who rescued Geoffrey after he was burned in a November accident. The firefighters are, from left, Assistant Chief Tom Bates, Bill Eva, Assistant Chief John Pirkey, Siobhan Martin, Mark Thompson and Chief Nevan Cassidy. Purchase photo reprints at Photo Finder »

Hancock — An Antrim man credits the fast response of Hancock firefighters with helping him cope with serious burns he suffered in a bonfire accident on the night on Nov. 5.

“You guys did an awesome job,” Adam Geoffrey, 21, told his rescuers when he attended the Fire Department’s meeting on Tuesday. “It was a bad time for me. Everyone calmed me down and all worked together. Thank you so much.”

Geoffrey and two friends were just moving into a house on Forest Road in Hancock, not far from the covered bridge over the Contoocook River, on the night when he was injured. While Geoffrey was reluctant to go into detail about what happened, he said they had started a bonfire on the property, using gasoline, and the fire got out of control.

Hancock Fire Chief Nevan Cassidy said firefighters responded to a 911 call from Forest Road a little after 11 p.m. They found Geoffrey, who was the only one injured, outside the home.

“He had burns to his face, legs and hands,” Cassidy said. “We got the burned clothes off, got sterile dressings on the burns and called for an ambulance.”

Cassidy said the Peterborough Fire and Ambulance arrived quickly and Hancock firefighter John Pirkey drove the ambulance to a landing zone on Vose Farm Road in Peterborough, while the two Peterborough paramedics continued to treat Geoffrey’s burns. Geoffrey was airlifted by helicopter to Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, where he spent about three weeks in the burn unit before being released.

Police were not called to the fire scene, which was on private property. Cassidy said the fire itself was under control when firefighters arrived.

Geoffrey said the burns he suffered were extremely painful. “I was just in such shock,” Geoffrey said after thanking his rescuers. “They kept calming me down, saying you’ll be all right. They really worked together as a team.”

Geoffrey’s face, arms and legs were badly blistered by the fire, but he is now recovering. He’s been living with his parents in Antrim and said he hopes to be able to return to work soon.

Cassidy told Geoffrey that he looked a lot better than the last time Hancock firefighters had seen him.

“It’s good to see you up and walking around,” he said.

There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.