High Street work is on budget
Cold weather delays completion of road stabilization; finish date extended to fall
GREENVILLE — Despite weather delays pushing the completion of the High Street project into the spring months, the project is still on budget, according to the project’s engineers.
The Select Board held a short public hearing Wednesday evening to give residents an update on the road construction on High Street, which has been closed since a landslide destabilized the road in 2010. The hearing, which is a requirement for projects employing Community Development Block grants, was short and sparsely attended.
Scott Bourcier of Dubois and King, the company which engineered the project, explained to the Select Board and the few residents who attended the hearing that the project started on Sept. 3, and the most arduous portion of the construction — installing sheet pile to stabilize the slope — had been completed. During the course of the project, one adjacent landowner had filed a claim for damages done to their property during the construction phase, related to a broken window. Other than that, the process has gone smoothly, he said.
However, winter weather set in, and the project stalled, waiting out the worst of the winter storms and frigid temperatures. The construction is anticipated to resume in March, and will take between 23 and 53 days to complete, explained Bourcier.
Greenville resident Shirley Winslow asked whether the delay would have any effect on the project’s funding. Seventy five percent of the cost of the project is covered by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, or FEMA, while the rest is covered by a state Community Development Block Grant and town-raised funds. Bourcier said that all of the grant sources had been contacted prior to suspending the project, and the deadline for the project has been extended to the fall of this year.
“We shouldn’t come close to that,” said Bourcier of the project’s expected finish date, noting he is expecting the work to be finished by early summer.
Bob Durfee of Dubois and King noted that due to the delay the town will have to sign a contract amendment with the engineering company to cover additional tasks the company will have to perform in construction administration. However, he said, the additional cost should not go over the total budget for the project, due to savings elsewhere. The project has saved $5,500 in materials, due to a change in materials for the pile capping, and has roughly $49,000 left from a reserve set aside to settle any damage claims made by neighbors. Besides the broken window, which should cost between $500 and $1,000 to replace, there have been no other claims, and the construction period when most accidents would occur has already past, said Durfee.
The Select Board decided not to sign the contract amendment at Wednesday’s public hearing, to allow the board to examine it and discuss it with fellow board member Doug Reardon, who was not present at the hearing. The Select Board will meet next Wednesday at 5:30 p.m. in the meeting room of the Town Hall.
Ashley Saari can be reached at 924-7172 ex. 244, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
She’s on Twitter @AshleySaari.