Hi 21° | Lo 13°


Court to decide on special town meeting

Town to ask voters for $87K to fix High Street

GREENVILLE — The town is set to appear before the court early next month to request a special town meeting for the approval of additional funds to finish the slope stabilization of High Street.

On June 5, the Hillsborough Superior Court in Nashua will decide if the need is urgent enough to justify a special town meeting. With High Street closed since 2010 and the grant funds that will cover the majority of the project set to expire at the end of the year, the town expects the court will grant the special meeting.

If the court recognizes the need for a town meeting on June 5, Town Administrator Kelly Collins noted the town could then hold a public hearing on the issue on June 12, and move forward with the actual meeting on July 10. The town will be requesting $87,000 from voters — 25 percent of the cost to fix High Street — with the remaining 75 percent to be covered by FEMA.

During its meeting Wednesday night, the Select Board signed a notice of award for the construction phase of the project to T Buck Construction, contingent on the court allowing a special town meeting and voters approving the funds.

The Select Board has also begun to move forward with obtaining funds to improve drainage on the rest of the slope, to prevent further collapses in the future.

On Monday, the board voted to expend $3,000 from the fund for general government building repair and maintenance to pay Dubois and King, a Bedford-based engineering firm that completed the engineering work on High Street, to apply on the town’s behalf for a Department of Safety and Homeland Security grant that would cover up to 75 percent of the remaining work. The town has until Oct. 11 to apply for the funds in order for them to be available for acceptance at Town Meeting in March.

FEMA declined a request by the town to cover the cost of improving drainage for the rest of the street, as it was not part of the original scope of the project. The Select Board decided to wait until next year to ask the voters for funds to finish off the rest of the street , after applying for a separate grant to assist with the work. The town hopes to be able to pay for just 25 percent of the work, after grants.

“We’ve taken it this far; we might as well bring it home,” said Select Board member Doug Reardon of completing drainage on the rest of the street.

Ashley Saari can be reached at 924-7172 ext. 235 or She’s on Twitter at @AshleySaari.

Legacy Comments0
There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.