Firehouse museum open house features historic equipment
The newly painted red doors of Monadnock 4 were swung open last Saturday afternoon for an Open House at the Jaffrey Historical Society’s firehouse museum on Route 124 in Jaffrey Center. Once an active fire station for the western part of the town, the building features a collection of photographs, memorabilia and artifacts related to fires and firefighting from Jaffrey’s earliest times to the present.
The Fire-Fly, a rotary vein pumper dating from 1828 was rolled out, along with the still-running 1931 Seagrave Suburbanite. Inside, the various pieces of the early 1800 piston pumper Contoocook were laid out for inspection. It’s presently being restored to working order.
People stopped by and enjoyed seeing the old equipment and learning a bit of history in the process. Hotdogs and lemonade were a crowd pleaser as well! Overseeing the event were Bill Driscoll, Dave Kemp and Joe Manning, all suitably turned out with their red suspenders. Sean Driscoll and Sean, Jr., manned the grill.