Some clouds
33°
Some clouds
Hi 36° | Lo 27°

TEMPLE

Dog awakens resident to house fire

Fire officials say no one was injured; dog treated with oxygen and antibiotics

  • A fire on Colburn Road in Temple did not result in any injuries, according to fire officials.
  • A fire on Colburn Road in Temple did not result in any injuries, according to fire officials.
  • A fire on Colburn Road in Temple did not result in any injuries, according to fire officials.
  • A fire on Colburn Road in Temple did not result in any injuries, according to fire officials.

TEMPLE — On his third day on the job, newly elected Fire Chief George Clark was put to the test when a chimney fire got out of control, damaging the basement and first floor of a house on Colburn Road.

At approximately 9:30 a.m. on Wednesday fire crews responded to Colburn Road for a reported house fire, which was raised to a second-alarm. According to Clark, the owner of the home, Donna Hagen, was sleeping when the fire broke out. Hagen reported to fire officials that her smoke detectors did not go off, but she was awakened by a popping sound and the growling of her dog. When she went downstairs and saw the smoke, she immediately left the house and a neighbor called 911.

Hagen was the only person home at the time of the fire. Her dog did not follow her out of the house, but was found at the front door when fire crews arrived. The dog was transported to the veterinarian and treated with oxygen and antibiotics, and is expected to be fine, said Clark. There were no other injuries.

The fire damaged the basement and first floor, and caused smoke damage to the second floor, but structurally the house is sound, said Clark, and is repairable. Red Cross has been contacted and will be assisting the family with obtaining housing in the interim.

The fire took about 40 minutes to extinguish, said Clark. “It went exceptionally well,” he said. “The crew did a fantastic job knocking it down and minimizing the damage.”

Clark, who has been serving on the Temple Volunteer Fire Department as deputy chief, was elected to the chief position Monday by an internal vote of the department, replacing former Chief Mike Connolly. He said that even with the recent transition in leadership, everything had gone smoothly for the department on the scene.

“I guess there’s nothing like being thrown right into the fire,” joked Clark. “I had one of my senior fire fighters in charge until I arrived on the scene, and then I took command. I’m happy with the job that everyone did, including the mutual aid guys. I got thrown into that, so now I think the hard part is over.”

Crews from Peterborough, Jaffrey, New Ipswich, Wilton, Dublin and Lyndeborough responded to assist, while the Mason Fire Department covered Temple’s fire station during the fire.

Ashley Saari can be reached at 924-7172 ex. 244, or asaari@ledgertranscript.com. She’s on Twitter @AshleySaari.

There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.