Fireworks mishaps in Antrim July 4

Monadnock Ledger-Transcript
Thursday, July 05, 2018 6:41PM

The Antrim Fire Department responded to two fireworks-related mishaps on July 4, with an injury and a brush fire occurring within the span of 13 minutes. 

“It was kind of unusual,” said Antrim Fire Chief Marshall Gale, in an interview Thursday afternoon. “In past years, we have had no fireworks-related calls.”

The first call – an injury to a 79-year-old summer resident – came from White Birch Point Road at 9:12 p.m.

Gale said the man suffered a laceration, minor burns, and “controlled bleeding,” after a firework tipped over before it discharged.

An EMT crew checked the man on scene for injuries, but he declined to be transported, Gale said. 

The brush fire – occurring at a Greg Lake Road residence – was called in at 9:25 p.m.

Gale said it took about eight minutes for a crew to put out the minor brush fire, which was caused by a firework that went in the wrong direction and ended up behind a residence. 

Both mishaps were at private shows, Gale said.

“You have to be careful when using fireworks,” he said. “We were lucky, we were pretty set with staffing that night.”

Nicholas Handy can be reached at 924-7172 ext. 235 or nhandy@ledgertranscript.com. He is also on Twitter @nhandyMLT.