×

Antrim police arrest three teens in connection to online threat to ConVal

  • ConVal High School in Peterborough  Staff photo by Meghan Pierce

  • ConVal High School in Peterborough  Staff photo by Meghan Pierce



Monadnock Ledger-Transcript
Thursday, November 08, 2018 11:35AM

Three Antrim teens have been arrested for allegedly making a violent threat toward ConVal High School in Peterborough.

Anthony Wheeler, 18, of Main Street is accused of making the post, Antrim Police Chief Scott Lester said in the press release. Two other Antrim teens, police believe were accomplices, were arrested as juveniles.

Lester said in the release that all three are facing criminal threatening related charges and are scheduled to appear in court today.

The threat was first reported to Peterborough police by ConVal High School parents on Wednesday, Lester said in the press release Thursday.

“They learned that a posting over a social media app was circulated throughout the early morning hours to dozens of students. Some who saw the post were extremely alarmed and notified authorities. It was quickly learned that the post originated from an Antrim resident and we were notified,” Antrim police said.

Antrim police chief Scott Lester requested the assistance of Hillsborough police who worked with additional Antrim officers.

“The Hillsborough Police were instrumental in locating, detaining and interviewing all three suspects. The Hillsborough Police are also assisting with digital evidence collection.”although this investigation remains active, we are confident that this matter is no longer a safety concern for our school,” Lester said in the release.

The ConVal School District canceled school district-wide Wednesday morning due to the online threat.

School and police officials released very little about the alleged threat on Wednesday, but said by Wednesday afternoon that school would commence Thursday and that the threat had been “addressed.”

“Law enforcement has confirmed that the alleged threat has been addressed,” the school district said in a press release Wednesday afternoon.

While police and school officials would not specify what the threat was or what social media platform was used to make the alleged threat, a ConVal High School student shared a Snapchat post with Monadnock Ledger-Transcript staff Wednesday that had been posted by a ConVal High School student and featured another ConVal High School student, holding a gun in each hand, posted with the caption, “Don’t go to school wednesday.”

ConVal Superintendent Kimberly Rizzo Saunders said in an email to parents Wednesday that the decision to close school for the day was made after school officials consulted with police.

“A threat to the safety of the high school was distributed online and while we are not sure at this point if the threat is credible, the police need to thoroughly investigate the matter,” Sanders wrote. “I will be sure to keep you up to date as I get information. Buses that have already done pick up will be returning students home. As always our first priority is student and staff safety.”

Later Wednesday morning Saunders said she could not elaborate on the exact threat or social media platform used.

“The alleged threat came through online media, because it’s an ongoing investigation that’s the level of detail the district has been asked to release,” Saunders said. “Presently Antrim, Bennington and Peterborough police are questioning students allegedly involved.”

Saunders said three ConVal High School students are currently the focus of the police investigation and are being interviewed by police.