Rindge: Cause of death found in FPU case

Monadnock Ledger-Transcript
Monday, June 13, 2016 6:6AM

A Franklin Pierce University student found dead in a stream in March died of an accidental overdose, according to toxicology reports.

The toxicology report of Douglas “Dougie” Usseglio, 22, of Waltham, Massachusetts, was completed by the Office of the Medical Examiner on March 7, according to a June 9 Rindge police press release. The specific cause of death was acute Alprazolam intoxication, a common name for Xanax, an anti-anxiety drug.

“An accidental drug overdose doesn’t define my son,” said Michelle Usseglio, Douglas’s mother, in an interview Thursday. “I’ve heard so many incredible stories from his friends about how much he helped them through things. He did more in his life to help others than I have done in my life.”

Usseglio was found by a passerby in a stream near Bradford Street and Goodall Road on March 6. Shortly after the news of his passing broke, Franklin Pierce University students flocked to the area, and created a memorial. 

For more on this story, see Tuesday’s edition of the Ledger-Transcript.

Nicholas Handy can be reached at 924-7172 ext. 235 or nhandy@ledgertranscript.com. He is also on Twitter @nhandyMLT.