×

Humans, pets escape blaze

  • Damage to the living area following a fire at a Dublin home. Courtesy photo

  • A fire that started in or near the chimney at a home on Learned Road in Dublin on Thursday night caused damage to the living area. The couple living in the house was able to button up holes left by the fire and stay in their home overnight. Courtesy photo—

  • A fire that started in or near the chimney at a home on Learned Road in Dublin on Thursday night caused damage to the living area. Courtesy photo—

  • A fire that started in or near the chimney at a home on Learned Road in Dublin on Thursday night caused damage to the living area. The couple living in the house was able to button up holes left by the fire and stay in their home overnight. Courtesy photo—

  • A fire that started in or near the chimney at a home on Learned Road in Dublin on Thursday night caused damage to the living area. The couple living in the house was able to button up holes left by the fire and stay in their home overnight. Courtesy photo—



Monadnock Ledger-Transcript
Monday, December 18, 2017 5:47PM

A fire that started around a chimney at a home in Dublin on Thursday night caused extensive damage to the living room.

Dublin Fire Chief Thomas Vanderbilt said crews from multiple towns in the area were toned out to the fire around 8:30 p.m. He said the fire likely started in the chimney and spread to the roof. Vanderbilt said at one point there were flames showing outside of the house on Learned Road. 

Brie Morrissey and her boyfriend Chris Raymond were in the house when they noticed smoke on Thursday night. It was just a little bit at first but it continued to grow. Morrissey said she called 911 immediately. Then she and her Raymond were able to grab their two Great Danes and get out of the house unscathed. Morrissey said they weren’t able to catch their two cats, but once fire crews arrived on the scene, first responders were able to get both animals out of the house and to safety.

Vanderbilt said it took crews about two hours to tame the blaze and put out any hot spots.

Morrissey said there was “quite a bit of damage” done to the living room. She said they were able to button up holes left from the fire and stay in their home overnight. Raymond is a builder and constructed the house back in 2008.

“We are OK. The house will be OK in time,” Morrissey posted on Facebook.

Morrissey said the two spent most of the day on Friday calling their insurance provider. She said they have were “very grateful” to the firefighters who responded to the call and were able to put out the fire.

“They went above and beyond to make sure everything was as painless as possible,” Morrissey said.

Vanderbilt said it’s important to clean out chimneys every year because ashes can heat up and catch on fire.

 

Abby Kessler can be reached at 924-7172, ext. 234 or akessler@ledgertranscript.com.