Rindge, Greenville crews respond to chimney fires

Monadnock Ledger-Transcript
Published: 12/4/2019 12:38:05 PM

Fire crews in Rindge and Greenville responded to chimney fires on Tuesday.

In Greenville, crews responded to Adams Avenue for an active fire in the chimney which had extended into the walls of the home, said Greenville Fire Chief Charles Buttrick on Wednesday. The fire began in a wood stove.

Crews called for a first alarm, and were assisted by fire departments from Ashby, New Ipswich, Mason, Temple, Wilton and Lyndeborough.

Buttrick said the fire took about an hour to completely put out, but did minimal damage to the home, which is still habitable.

The family was home at the time the fire started, and were all able to exit safely after notifying the fire department.

“People that are using wood stoves should clean their stove pipes on a regular basis. It sounds simple, but people need to be reminded,” Buttrick said.

Rindge crews also responded to a chimney fire on Tuesday morning, on Woodbound Road. Rindge Fire Captain Casey Burrage said Tuesday the department was called out for a chimney fire which had started in a pellet stove. The department investigated, and took apart the stove, but did not locate any fire in the chimney. The homeowner will have the stove serviced and cleaned, Burrage said.

Rindge fire was assisted on the scene by Troy and Jaffrey fire departments.

Ashley Saari can be reached at 924-7172 ext. 244 or asaari@ledgertranscript.com. She’s on Twitter @AshleySaariMLT.


Jobs



Support Local Journalism

Subscribe to the Monadnock Ledger-Transcript, your source for Peterborough area news.


Monadnock Ledger-Transcript

20 Grove St.
Peterborough, NH 03458
603-924-7172

 

© 2020 Monadnock Ledger-Transcript
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy