×

Thanksgiving Day fire in Wilton kills couple’s dog, destroys home



Monadnock Ledger-Transcript
Friday, November 23, 2018 4:13PM

A Thanksgiving Day fire destroyed a Wilton couple’s home and killed their dog.

The man and woman were not home when the fire started, Wilton Fire Chief Jim Cutler said Friday. The homeowners discovered the fire when they returned home at around 7:40 p.m. on Thursday. At that point, smoke was already coming from multiple locations, he said.

The home, located on 259 Abbott Hill Road in Wilton, is set back from the road. The street view is screened by trees, so although it appears that the fire had been burning for some time, it had not been reported by neighbors or motorists passing, Cutler said.

Though the fire department is still investigating, the fire’s origin appears to be a wood stove in the kitchen on the first floor of the two-story home. By the time fire crews arrived, the fire had spread to the second floor of the open concept home, as well as burned through to the basement.

While the owners were not home at the time of the fire, their dog that was home at the time, perished in the fire, Cutler said.

“The house appears to be unlivable, and a total loss,” Cutler said. “The shell of the house is still intact, but the house would have to be gutted, taken down to its most base elements, and rebuilt to be livable again.”

Cutler said he called in a second alarm upon arriving at the scene, as cold weather and low manpower due to the holiday were both a concern.

Fire crews were able to contain the fire and get it under control within about an hour, and spent several more hours on the scene monitoring for hot spots, before clearing the scene at about 10:30 p.m.

The couple that owns the home has a second residence where they will be staying.

Ashley Saari can be reached at 924-7172 ext. 244 or asaari@ledgertranscript.com. She’s on Twitter @AshleySaariMLT.