Friends aid Peterborough Town Library Director Corinne Chronopoulos after fire

  • Corinne Chronopoulos Staff file photo by Ben Conant

Monadnock Ledger-Transcript
Published: 12/13/2021 1:01:58 PM
Modified: 12/13/2021 1:01:22 PM

Peterborough Town Library Director Corinne Chronopoulos received more than $20,000 in donations on a GoFundMe to support herself and her family after her home in Hudson was damaged in a fire last Wednesday, leaving her family without shelter in December for the second year in a row.

“This has been a very difficult tragedy for our family,” Chronopoulos stated. “We want to thank everyone so much for their outpouring of generosity and support.”

Chronopoulos was living in her parents’ home in Hudson, where her family was forced to move following their eviction from Peterborough Eco Village last December. Although according to residents at the time, Eco Village had been in operation for about 12 years, the town was unaware of its use of gas and electricity, which had not been approved or permitted. The village was also out of compliance with zoning and planning codes. 

Following an examination from the town’s building inspector and fire inspector, the town evicted all of the Eco Village tenants due to the fire hazards present, leaving Chronopoulos and multiple other residents without housing days before Christmas.

Chronopoulos is now once again in the process of looking for housing in December. 

The GoFundMe page was set up by Elizabeth Eastman of Hudson, a personal friend of Chronopoulos.

“The family has received a good amount of support, which we are grateful for,” Eastman said. 

The total amount raised by the GoFundMe was $23,160, with most donations coming in between $20 and $100. The fundraiser has since been closed to new donations. 

Library Assistant Director Mary Hubbard said that although the library did not publicize the fundraiser or donate in an official capacity, some staff members did donate or otherwise try to support Chronopoulos.

“Both she and her husband have given a lot to the community,” Hubbard said. “I think the community recognizes that contribution.”

According to Hudson Fire Department Fire Prevention Officer Steve Dube, the house is still structurally sound and the fire damage can be repaired. The cause, he said, was accidental and likely caused by a pellet stove that was installed improperly.

“We are optimistic about our recovery and the recovery of our other family members impacted by the fire,” Chronopoulos stated. “We are still understanding the impacts and steps to move forward, but are heartened by the support of so many friends and family.”


Jobs



Support Local Journalism

Subscribe to the Monadnock Ledger-Transcript, your source for Peterborough area news.


Monadnock Ledger-Transcript

20 Grove St.
Peterborough, NH 03458
603-924-7172

 

© 2021 Monadnock Ledger-Transcript
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy