Business Quarterly: Be prepared to have your taxes prepared 


The River Center

Published: 01-24-2023 9:03 AM

Whether you are having your taxes prepared by a tax professional, a volunteer in the River Center’s Volunteer Tax Assistance program or by yourself, here’s a handy checklist of what you can do to make the process go smoothly and the documents you will need to get your taxes filed accurately.

Before preparing your taxes

■Schedule your appointment if having your taxes done professionally or at a clinic.

■Remove all tax-related documents from their mailing envelopes.

The basics

■Social Security cards for yourself, your spouse and any dependents on your tax return. Alternatively, you can provide a letter from the Social Security Administration. If you don’t have either, go to your nearest Social Security field office to apply for a replacement.

■Birth date for all persons on your tax return.

■Government-issued photo ID for yourself (and your spouse).

Article continues after...

Yesterday's Most Read Articles

Cyberattack could cause delays with some Monadnock Community Hospital lab results
New Hampshire Ball Bearings explains work
Connecticut hiker rescued on Mount Monadnock
Complaint against Jaffrey Community Power dismissed
Viewpoint: Steve Chamberlin – Seven reasons to vote no on ConVal article
Jaffrey town office candidates field residents’ questions

■Routing and account numbers for your savings or checking account for direct deposit.

■Last year’s tax return, if you have it.

■Identity Protection PIN (IP PIN), if you have one.


■All W-2s for all jobs you had. Only bring yours and not those of your children or other dependents.

■All 1099 forms issued.

■Records of income not reported on 1099 forms, if self-employed

■Documentation of other income such as gambling, lottery, prizes, awards, royalties etc.


■Records of expenses, if self-employed.

■Record of estimated tax payments, if self-employed.

■Student loan interest statement (1098-E).

■Proof of post-secondary education-related expenses and tuition (1098-T) paid.

■Proof of total paid for day care provider and their tax identifying number; usually comes as a year-end statement from the provider with address, identifying number and total paid.

■If itemizing, bring proof of medical and dental expenses, any state/real estate/personal property/sales taxes paid, mortgage interest and charitable contributions paid.

■Out-of-pocket expenses paid for by an eligible educator.


■Health Insurance Marketplace statement (1095-A).

■If your filing status is married filing jointly, both spouses must be available to sign the required forms if filing taxes electronically.

■Copies of income transcripts from IRS.

■Any document that is marked as a tax-related document

If you have any questions about what to bring to your tax appointment, check with your tax professional or call The River Center at (603) 924-6800.

The River Center: A Family and Community Resource Center provides parent education, family support and community connections to strengthen individuals and families in Peterborough, Jaffrey, New Ipswich and surrounding towns. Funding comes from Monadnock United Way, New Hampshire Charitable Foundation and the contributions of individuals, businesses and private foundations.

The River Center is at 9 Vose Farm Rd, Suite 115, Peterborough. For information, call (603) 924-6800 or visit