Teacher puts out trash can fire at Conant High School on Monday

  • An aerial view of Jaffrey from Conant High School. Staff photo by Ben Conant

Monadnock Ledger-Transcript
Published: 1/5/2022 10:34:05 AM
Modified: 1/5/2022 10:33:25 AM

The school day ended early for students on Monday, after a trash can fire in a boys bathroom at Conant High School late in the school day.

Fire Chief David Chamberlain said fire crews responded to the school at 1:58 p.m. for a general fire alarm. When they arrived, building staff reported that there had been a fire in a trash can in the boys bathroom on the second floor of the high school, in the area of the science labs. It appears to have been lit by a student, Chamberlain said, but the incident is currently being investigated.

Prior to the fire department’s arrival, a teacher had already extinguished the fire with a fire extinguisher, and the building was being evacuated.

Chamberlain said the fire department checked the area to ensure the fire had not extended into the ceiling or walls, and ventilated the building to remove smoke. Chamberlain said there did not appear to be any damage from the smoke or fire, other than to the trash can.

Due to the cold temperatures, students were allowed to wait in the Pratt Auditorium until dismissal, which was scheduled for only a few minutes from the time of the fire. There were no injuries.

Ashley Saari can be reached at 924-7172 ext. 244 or asaari@ledgertranscript.com. She’s on Twitter @AshleySaariMLT. She’s on Twitter @AshleySaariMLT.


Jobs



Support Local Journalism

Subscribe to the Monadnock Ledger-Transcript, your source for Peterborough area news.


Monadnock Ledger-Transcript

20 Grove St.
Peterborough, NH 03458
603-924-7172

 

© 2021 Monadnock Ledger-Transcript
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy