Bank robber who punched officer sentenced

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 9:43AM

A Raymond man whose crime spree ended in Hancock was sentenced to 11 years in prison on Tuesday.

Michael Munroe, 34, was sentenced in federal court for his role in two bank robberies and other criminal conduct in 2016, Acting United States Attorney John J. Farley announced today.

According to court documents and statements made in court, Munroe robbed a Northway Bank branch location in Ossipee, New Hampshire on March 28, 2016, and a Granite State Credit Union branch location in Seabrook, New Hampshire on April 1, 2016. He committed each robbery by passing a demand note to the teller threatening that he had a gun and demanding money. There was no evidence that Munroe actually was armed at the time. Following each robbery, Munroe fled the scene.

The two bank robberies, to which Munroe pleaded guilty in June 2017, were part of a larger well-publicized two-state multi-week crime spree perpetrated by Munroe in March and April 2016.  As part  of his federal plea agreement, Munroe also admitted to other criminal conduct, including: (1) the March 19, 2016, assault on an individual in his home in Epping, New Hampshire; (2) the March 27, 2016, taking of a victim’s Honda Pilot from her possession in Manchester, New Hampshire; (3) the March 30, 2016, taking of a victim’s Lexus ES300 from her possession in Tewksbury, Massachusetts; (4) the March 31, 2016, attempted taking of a victim’s Toyota Highlander from her possession in Reading, Massachusetts; and (5) the April 1, 2016, theft of a Honda CRV while it was parked in Derry, New Hampshire.  Munroe has been in custody since his arrest by Hancock Police on April 2, 2016.

The string of crimes ended in Hancock. Officer Frank Shea said the agency found a stolen vehicle on a road in Hancock one night in April 2016, but officers were unable to locate anybody that day. The following morning, the department received a call about two suspicious people downtown. Shea said officers were able to locate Munroe and his then-girlfriend Rebecca Norton, of Raymond.

Shea said he conducted a pat search on Munroe, at which time he located a bulge. Shea said Munroe grew defensive, backed away, punched him in the face, and took off running. Shea said a foot pursuit around Fiddleheads Cafe & Catering ensued. Shea was eventually able to catch up to Munroe, at which time he punched him again. Munroe climbed into Shea’s cruiser but was pulled out by onlookers. 

"It was nice to bring it to an end in Hancock so it didn't continue into other towns in our region," Officer Frank Shea said about the incident on Monday afternoon. 

He said that's the only time he has been assaulted as an officer to that extent.

Munroe, who previously pleaded guilty, will serve three years of supervised release following completion of his sentence.  The Court additionally ordered Munroe to pay restitution to the banks and other victims, totaling $14,856.63.

“The United States Attorney’s Office is committed to working with our federal, state, and local law enforcement partners to combat violent crime,” said Acting U.S. Attorney Farley.  “The robberies and other violent acts committed by this defendant cannot be tolerated.  I commend the hard work of the law enforcement officers who put a stop to this defendant’s crime spree and prevented him from committing further acts of violence.”

“The FBI will do everything in its power to prevent criminals like Mr. Munroe from casting a shadow of violence over our streets,” said Harold H. Shaw, Special Agent in Charge of the FBI Boston Division.  “While his crime spree has come to an end, we’ll continue to work with our law enforcement partners to combat violent crime and keep our communities safe.”