Temple responds to three overdoses

  • There were three drug overdoses in Temple on Sunday, June 4. One of them occurred in the parking lot of Willard’s Store, located in the center of town.

Monadnock Ledger-Transcript
Thursday, June 08, 2017 9:45AM

One person was arrested after first responders were dispatched to three separate but related non-fatal overdoses in Temple on Sunday, June 4 at around 5 p.m.

At 4:54 p.m., Officer Michael Heikkila responded to a call about a man and a woman who had overdosed on Old Peterborough Road. 

Michael J. Beauchamp, 49, of Antrim, was arrested for resisting arrest, and assault on a police officer.

Temple-Greenville Police Chief James McTague did not give details about the assault, but said the officer didn’t sustain any injuries during the encounter.

He was released on a $1,000 personal recognizance bail and given a court date of Aug. 10. 

Beauchamp was transported to Southern New Hampshire Health System in Nashua.

McTague would not release the name of the woman involved, although he confirmed she was 49 years old and from Antrim. Peterborough police, who also responded to the call, said the woman’s name is Vanessa Armstong, but deferred all other questions to Temple-Greenville police.

She was transported to St. Joseph’s Hospital in Nashua, McTague said. 

McTague would not confirm what drug led to the two overdoses.

He said he believes Narcan, a life-saving medication that can stop or reverse the effects of an opioid overdose, was deployed on both Beauchamp and Armstrong.

When administered, Narcan can cause an individual to be confused, agitated or combative, according to Gary Zirpolo of Wilton Ambulance.

At about 5:16 p.m. that day, police were dispatched to an overdose in the parking lot of Willard’s Store, located in the center of town.

McTague would not release the name of the man at the store but said he was 48 years of age and from Peterborough. Peterborough ambulance and New Ipswich Police Department responded to the call.

The man refused medical attention. It’s not known if the man or Armstrong will face charges.

Peggy Cournoyer, the owner of Willard’s Store, said she was working when the event occurred.

“He was out in his truck and there were people who saw him that said he did not look like he was in good shape,” Cournoyer said. “Some people checked him out and they thought it was a heart attack or whatever.”

Cournoyer said first responders were called, who were eventually able to arouse the man. She said after some time, he was OK, and friends came to the store and picked him up.

She said it’s the first time anything like that has happened at the store in her time.

McTague said the three overdoses were all connected.

“Basically that’s typical, someone gets scared and takes off,” McTague said about the man located in the store’s parking lot.

When asked if three overdoses in a single day is an anomaly for the town of a little more than 1,360 residents, McTague said not really.

“When there’s an overdose, we usually see more than one at a time,” he said. “But no one has immunity to this issue, every town is the same.”

Abby Kessler can be reached at 924-7172, ext. 234 or akessler@ledgertranscript.com.