×

Antrim Wind blasting resumes after one day cease and desist

  • A simulation of Antrim Wind Energy's planned Antrim turbines over Willard Pond. Courtesy photo

  • Proposed wind turbine sites Image via NHPUC

  • Willard Pond in Antrim, where the town has issued a cease and desist order to the wind energy firm’s blasting efforts. Staff photo by Ben Conant

  • Willard Pond in Antrim. Staff photo by Ben Conant—



Monadnock Ledger-Transcript
Thursday, August 23, 2018 10:42AM

Antrim Fire Chief Marshall Gale issued a cease and desist order for blasting at the Antrim Wind Project site on Monday because a notification of blasting was not submitted 24 hours prior. 

Blasting continued on Tuesday, according to Gale, as the proper notifications had been submitted. A notification from the town said the first blast occurred around 10:30 a.m. 

“I had a conversation with the foreman, we had a very productive meeting,” Gale said. “Going forward, I don’t see this as an issue.”

Gale said the 24 hour notification, along with a one hour notification, prior to any blasting activity on the Antrim Wind Project had been previously agreed to by all parties as a procedure to follow.

“Safety is the main reason, for the public and employees working on the site,” Gale said. 

Antrim Wind Energy submitted a notice for the start of construction of the Antrim Wind Project to the state Department of Environmental Services (DES). The company plans to install nine-turbines along Tuttle Hill and Willard Mountain. 

Gale said blasting for the project began last Friday and is expected to last for the next four months, provided weather doesn’t derail anything. 

There will generally be one to three blasts conducted per day – usually mid-morning, early afternoon and late afternoon. Working days are Monday through Friday, according to Gale. 

Audible warning signals – that can be heard a half-mile away – will be made five minutes (three whistles) and two minutes (two whistles) before the blast and one whistle when things are all clear. 

Gale said the Antrim town website will be the best source of information as to when blasting will be conducted. Gale said people could have the information sent to them via email by using the subscribe to news tab on the homepage of the website. 

Nicholas Handy can be reached at 924-7172 ext. 235 or nhandy@ledgertranscript.com. He is also on Twitter @nhandyMLT.