×

Pellet stove damaged in minor fire in Jaffrey



Monadnock Ledger-Transcript
Monday, April 15, 2019 10:21AM

Jaffrey fire crews responded to a minor fire inside a home on Mark Street on Friday morning.

Fire Chief David Chamberlain said the fire department responded to 7 Mark Street at 7:43 a.m., after a piece of tape which had been wrapped around a pellet stove vent ignited and burned.

A woman and her two children were home at the time, and evacuated and waited for fire crews in a car, Chamberlain said. When crews arrived, the fire had burned out on its own.

The pellet stove vent will have to be replaced and the stove will have to be serviced, Chamberlain said, but there was no other smoke or fire damage to the home. No one was injured.

Chamberlain said the tape used was a foil tape with a foam backing.

“The moral of the story is to make sure your wood burning appliances are installed per manufacturing recommendations and with the proper materials,” he said.

Chamberlain said residents should always have a working smoke and carbon monoxide detector in their homes. If you do not have detectors in your home, contact the Jaffrey Fire Department, which has a program to assist residents in need with installing detectors.

 

Ashley Saari can be reached at 924-7172 ext. 244 or asaari@ledgertranscript.com. She’s on Twitter @AshleySaariMLT.