Francestown Post Office open despite Wednesday morning electrical fire 

Monadnock Ledger-Transcript
Published: 7/17/2019 10:57:22 AM

Fire crews responded to an electrical fire at the Francestown Post Office on Wednesday morning.

Fire Chief Larry Kullgren said crews were toned out at 6:40 a.m., after a light fixture arced and caught fire when a post office employee was readying the office opening.

“She was opening the building, and turned on the lights, and that’s when the fire occurred,” Kullgren said.

Kullgren said the light is an older fluorescent light, and the fire department believes the fire was sparked due to a failure in the light ballast, the part of the light which regulates the current to the lamp and provides sufficient voltage to start the lamps.

The fire was contained to the light fixture and had burned itself out by the time the fire department arrived, Kullgren said.

“There was no damage to the post office, just to the light fixture, and they are open and in operation today,” Kullgren said.

Kullgren said the department was able to isolate the circuit attached to the light fixture and turn it off, leaving power available to the rest of the building.

There was light smoke conditions in the building, Kullgren said, and the fire department assisted in venting the smoke and checked to ensure the fire had not spread within the walls, which it had not.

The fire department cleared the scene shortly after 7 a.m.

Ashley Saari can be reached at 924-7172 ext. 244 or asaari@ledgertranscript.com. She’s on Twitter @AshleySaariMLT.


Jobs



Support Local Journalism

Subscribe to the Monadnock Ledger-Transcript, your source for Peterborough area news.


Monadnock Ledger-Transcript

20 Grove St.
Peterborough, NH 03458
603-924-7172

 

© 2019 Monadnock Ledger-Transcript
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy