×

Overdose in Peterborough

  • Witnesses saw a man collapse in front of the Peterborough Dance Theatre on Tuesday night. (Ashley Saari / Monadnock Ledger-Transcript) Staff photo by Ashley Saari—Monadnock Ledger-Transcript

  • Witnesses saw a man collapse in front of the Peterborough Dance Theatre on Tuesday night. (Ashley Saari / Monadnock Ledger-Transcript) Staff photo by Ashley Saari—Monadnock Ledger-Transcript



Monadnock Ledger-Transcript
Thursday, November 16, 2017

Peterborough Fire and Ambulance responded to an overdose at the Monadnock Community Plaza.

“We were dispatched to the Monadnock marketplace for a report of an individual turning blue,” said Ambulance Chief Joshua Patrick on Wednesday.

While the ambulance was en route, crews were informed that a bystander at the site started to perform CPR.

Patrick declined to name the man, but said he was an adult male. Patrick also said he couldn’t disclose the reason for his collapse due to medical privacy laws. Fire Chief Ed Walker confirmed that crews were originally called to the scene for an overdose.

Pati Cloutier, the owner of the Peterborough Dance Theatre, said that the man had entered the studio before his collapse, and seemed to be disoriented. He appeared to have entered by mistake, possibly mistaking the studio for Yen Yen, the restaurant next door. At first, she said, employees thought that he was the father of a student, but when they determined that was not the case, he was escorted out. He was accompanied by two of the mothers waiting in the lobby, one of whom was a nurse, to assist him outside to a bench. It was that nurse who eventually called 911 and began chest compressions when the man collapsed.

“I hope that it was a one-time, isolated incident,” said Cloutier, who said that this is the first time anything like this has happened in her 30 years of running the studio. “Just hearing about it, I was shaken up. If it was an overdose, that just goes to show, it can happen anywhere.”

Katie Heikkila, the owner of Monadnock Canine Center at the far end of the plaza, said when she first heard the ambulance, she thought it was just passing by on Jaffrey Road. Then a customer told her that someone had collapsed in the parking lot, and she looked out the window to see someone prone on the sidewalk. 

Christine Witham, co-owner of La Mia Casa in the plaza, said she saw the fire department and ambulance arrive, and said she didn’t know what was going on at first. Then she, too, saw the man, lying on the ground.

“All I could see was his shoes,” said Witham.

Witham said she could also see a distraught woman with him.

“It was very quick,” she said. “The ambulance and fire department was there and then gone within ten minutes. The response time was very good.”

 

Ashley Saari can be reached at 924-7172 ext. 244 or asaari@ledgertranscript.com. She’s on Twitter @AshleySaariMLT.