Blaze displaces family of four, kills pet
Fire breaks out at log cabin on Turnpike Road early Friday morning; fire officials say cause was accidental
A fire at 259 Turnpike Road in Jaffrey was reported at 5:30 a.m. on Friday at a log cabin home owned by Heather and Thomas Tullio. Opening up the roof to extinguish the spreading flames was a challenge to firefighters because the roof structure was made up of layers of foam insulation and several layers of wood construction.
With the help of 10 fire departments from the surrounding towns, firefighters extinguished a house fire in Jaffrey at 259 Turnpike Road at 5:30 a.m. on Friday. The log cabin owned by Heather and Thomas Tullio, is still standing although the home is unable to be occupied at this time. The Tullio's and their two children and cat are currently staying with relatives.
The log cabin home at 259 Turnpike Road in Jaffrey is still standing although it is unable to be occupied at this time. The home owners, Heather and Thomas Tullio, along with their two children and cat are currently staying with relatives. The fire was reported to the Jaffrey Fire Department at 5:30 Friday morning.
Along with the Jaffrey Fire Department, ten other departments were called to assist a house fire at 259 Turnpike Road in Jaffrey at 5:30 a.m. on Friday. There were no reported injuries to the occupants or firefighters although a family pet did perish in the fire. The log cabin home is owned by Heather and Thomas Tullio.
JAFFREY — A family pet perished in a house fire on Turnpike Road on Friday morning, and displaced a family of four, though none were injured.
Firefighters responded to a reported house fire at 259 Turnpike Rd. shortly after it was reported at 5:30 a.m. A house fire was reported 5:30 a.m. Friday morning, at 259 Turnpike Rd. in Jaffrey at a log cabin home. According to a press release issued Friday by Jaffrey Fire Chief David Chamberlain, the log cabin home is owned by Heather and Thomas Tullio.
Upon arriving at the house, Assistant Chief Keith Dupuis of Jaffrey found heavy fire coming from the rear of the Tullio’s home and he confirmed that all the occupants were out of the building. In an interview Monday, Chamberlain said the fire appears to be accidental, although the investigation is still ongoing. Chamberlain declined to say anything further about the cause of the fire.
At the time of the fire, the Tullios and their 11-year-old son and 7-year-old daughter were all in the home at the time of fire, as well as their two cats, Chamberlain said. There were no reported injuries to the family or firefighters, however, one of the Tullios cats perished in the fire. Chamberlain confirmed Monday that a second cat, which was missing Friday during the fire, was found Saturday.
Chamberlain said it was a significant fire, and because of the particular roof construction made up of layers of foam insulation and several layers of wood construction, nine other fire departments were called to extinguish the flames.
“The roof construction took a lot of work, a lot more work than a conventional house,” Chamberlain said.
Once Peterborough’s ladder truck arrived, firefighters ascended and vented the roof. Mutual aid crews assisted Jaffrey firefighters with ventilation and extensive salvage and overhaul operations. The home sustained extensive smoke, fire and heat damage and is uninhabitable at this time. Chamberlain said the family is currently staying with relatives and is being assisted by the American Red Cross.
The fire was originally classified as a first-alarm fire, but the fire was upgraded to a second-alarm when Dupuis observed a large column of smoke on the horizon on his way to the fire.
Chamberlain said he has heard through Facebook about several Jaffrey people collecting clothes for the family, but he did not have the names of those trying to help and has not heard of any other fundraisers going on in town.
The fire departments that were called for assistance included the Peterborough Fire Department, Rindge Fire Department, New Ipswich Fire Department, Keene Fire Department, Winchendon, Mass., Fire Department, Dublin Fire Department, Fitzwilliam Fire Department, Greenville Fire Department, Troy Fire Department and the Temple Fire Department.
Lindsey Arceci can be reached at email@example.com or at 924-7172, ext. 232.