Woman injured in Bennington apartment fire

  • Bennington Town Hall, April 27, 2021 Staff Photo by Abbe Hamilton

Monadnock Ledger-Transcript
Published: 9/23/2021 1:56:31 PM

A woman received treatment for minor burn injuries and smoke inhalation after a fire broke out in her apartment on Bible Hill Rd in Bennington early Thursday morning.

Bennington Fire responded to 9 Bible Hill Rd at 1:30 a.m. and contained the fire “in a relatively short period of time,” said Chief Dave Foster. 

The fire was caused by an improperly disposed of cigarette or other smoking material, Foster said, which caught the mattress first before progressing to the bed frame and bedding material. Foster said that firefighters were able to keep the fire from spreading beyond the bedroom and bathroom area of the apartment.

The hand burns that the apartment’s occupant sustained were very minor, Foster said, and were likely caused by the woman trying to put the fire out with water from the bathroom sink.

The fire department stayed on scene to ensure the safety of the adjoining units in the building, Foster said, and did not depart until between 3:30 and 4:00 a.m. 

Also responding were Antrim, Hancock, Greenfield, and Francestown Fire Departments.  




Monadnock Ledger-Transcript

20 Grove St.
Peterborough, NH 03458
603-924-7172

 

© 2021 Monadnock Ledger-Transcript
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy