Chimney fire is contained
A fire began in the chimney of a home on Birch Glen Drive on Sunday night and only damaged the chimney, Fire Chief Mike Roina said in an interview Monday.
The fire took place at 69 Birch Glen Drive, a home owned by Carol and Phil McKinney, Roina said. One of the homeowners called in the fire to the Fire Department at 7:15 p.m. on Sunday. Although firefighters observed smoke in the attic of the home, damage was contained to the chimney area, Roina said. There were no injuries and no pets lost.
Built-up soot started the fire, Roina said. Over time, soot adds up, and eventually, it’s going to ignite, Roina said.
Because the only part of the home damaged from the fire was the chimney, the house is safe to live in and the family continues to stay there. “The whole chimney has to be replaced,” Roina said.
The Bennington Fire Department was assisted by fire departments from Antrim, Francestown, Greenfield, Hancock and Peterborough. It took firefighters an hour to put out the fire, Roina said.
-By Lindsey Arceci